We are active and engaged in Missions
We are a church in service to the least, the last, and the lost wherever there is a need. Examples of individual and teams in service are:
- Locally - in our communities, we provide shelters and soup kitchens, serve on Habitat for Humanity and National Rebuilding Together projects, participate in SOLVE projects, and a host of other needs as they become known. Members serve as first responders and, as a Conference, we work with other non-governmental agencies active in disasters to prepare for crises and respond as needed.
- Locally, Regionally and Nationally - we provide Early Response Teams (ERT) and United Methodist Volunteer in Missions (UMVIM) teams to assist in Relief and Long Term Recovery efforts following natural and human-caused disasters like earthquakes, wildfires, major storms, and flooding.
- Nationally and Internationally - we provide UMVIM teams, and individuals who itinerate long-term as Missionaries or Individual Volunteers in Mission working with our General Board of Global Ministries (GBGM) and United Methodist Committee on Relief (UMCOR).
Fire, flood, tornado, or earthquake can change lives in an instant, and each present real threats within our Conference. Get the skills and information you need to develop and be part of response teams for emergencies near or far. Being ready to offer a trained and caring Christian response is critical, but it takes dedicated training to be effective.
Western Jurisdiction Disaster Ministry Training
Save the dates. The next Western Jurisdiction training is planned for March 10 - 13, 2017, at the Doubletree by Hilton in Ontario, California. Register here.
Register at the link for your room before February 13 to receive a discounted rate. Subjects planned include:
- Spiritual Care - designed to develop individual and leader skills, enabling those who complete the training to train local teams in their Conferences and Districts.
- Connecting Neighbors - strategies to develop outreach ministries and become more tied-in to your communities through preparedness training and response to crisis.
- Basic and Advanced Early Response Team training - training essential to prepare individuals and teams for response and ministry during the relief phase following a disaster.
- And more...
We are working to offer at least some of the training in Spanish, Tongan, and/or Korean.
ERT Basic, Advanced, and UMVIM Team Leader Training
Are you prepared to be a member of teams that respond to crisis and disaster? You can make a difference. Emergency Response Teams (ERT) get training on how to respond when natural disasters strike and how to be an effective caring Christian presence with the survivors.
Check Out Generation Transformation...Designed for Young Adults!
Global Missions Fellows applications will be accepted later this year for next year's class...stay tuned.
Check out the opportunities at Generation Transformation, created by the General Board of Global Ministries to engage young adults, ages 18 - 30, in mission opportunities.
Want to be More Involved in Missions?
We are building a database to better understand who is involved in what, what you and your church would like to see, and where your passions lie. Please complete the survey at this link.
For more information, contact our Conference UMVIM Coordinator, Becky Platt.