2021 Sexual Ethics Requirements
THIS PAGE: The new ethics requirements will be initiated in the spring of 2023. In the meantime, anyone covered by the policy who is new to the annual conference, or who is not yet in compliance with the requirements, needs to participate in the 2021 requirements, which are outlined here.
THE POLICY: The Sexual Ethics Policy for Clergy and Lay Pastoral Leaders is printed annually (2022 Conference Journal, pages 42-47--Chapter 3 in the digital version; find the 2021 Policy in Spanish here: Código de Ética Sexual del Clero en Español aquí.
THE REQUIREMENTS: To be in full compliance with the policy, the following three tasks must be completed:
- 1) Complete the annual Sexual Ethics Online Test
- 2) Submit an Annual Disclosure Form to your District Office:
- online form in English (sign and submit completely online)
- 3) Attend a Healthy Boundary Workshop once per quadrennium (before Dec. 31, 2024)
- 1) Completar la prueba anual de ética sexual en línea
- 2) Remitir el formulario de declaración anual
- formulario en línea en español (firmar y enviar completamente en línea)
- 3) Asistir a un taller de límites saludables una vez por cuatrienio (antes del 31 de diciembre de 2024)
- All clergy who hold full or provisional membership in the Oregon-Idaho Annual Conference and have any conference relationship status, including active, retired, on leave*, honorably located, and those appointed to school.
- All currently licensed local pastors.
- All clergy from other annual conferences and other denominations who are appointed to a ministry in the Oregon-Idaho Annual Conference or have a charge conference relationship in the Oregon-Idaho Annual Conference regardless of their home Annual Conference.
- All lay persons assigned by District Superintendents for pastoral leadership in local congregations.
* Clergy on medical leave have the option of delaying completion of the test and workshop until their leave is over. However, all tasks will need to be completed before return to any other conference status.
THE SEXUAL ETHICS ONLINE TEST
All the persons listed above are required to complete the online test and disclosure form annually. You must complete the online test with a score of 100%. The test can be taken repeatedly to achieve a perfect score.
- Please read the letter from the bishop and chair of the Board of Ordained Ministry before taking the test.
- Por favor, lea la carta del obispo y del presidente de la Junta del Ministerio Ordenado antes de hacer la prueba.
HOW: The following steps outline the process for taking the test:
1. Read the Sexual Ethics Policy for Clergy is printed annually (2022 Conference Journal, pages 42-47--Chapter 3 in the digital version; find the 2021 Policy in Spanish here: Código de Ética Sexual del Clero en Español aquí.
2. Go to the Sexual Ethics Online Test. | Ir al test online de ética sexual.
3. Enter the password. (The password is jwesley). Please contact Laura Jaquith Bartlett at email@example.com, Administrative Coordinator for the Board of Ordained Ministry, or leave a message at 503-802-9215 if you need assistance. Your district office can also assist you.). Introduzca la contraseña. (La contraseña es jwesley. Por favor, contacte con Laura Jaquith Bartlett en firstname.lastname@example.org, Coordinadora Administrativa de la Junta del Ministerio Ordenado, o deje un mensaje en el 503-802-9215 si necesita ayuda. Su oficina de distrito también puede ayudarle).
4. Complete the requested information, including your agreement to abide by the Conference Sexual Ethics Policy.
5. Complete the 10 multiple-choice questions. This is an open book test; in fact, it is recommended that you have the policy open in front of you while taking the test, and that you read the instructions carefully before taking the test. Each question will be scored immediately, and you'll be able to see if you received a point for the correct response. If your response was incorrect (no point), you can immediately return to that question and try again before continuing to the next question. You need to receive a point for the answer in order for your entire response to be considered "correct."
6. When you have completed the test, you will receive your overall results instantly. Only 100% correct answers fulfill the requirement. You may take the test as many times as necessary (note: if you use the "previous" button to correct each response as you go through the test, you will only need to take the test once).
7. When you have achieved 100% the testing service will automatically send notification to Rev. Laura Jaquith Bartlett, Administrative Coordinator for the Conference Board of Ordained Ministry. You will not receive an email confirmation, but you will have the option to download a PDF certificate of completion once you successfully complete the test. The certificate is for your own records only; please do not send it to the BOM or to your district office.
8. Laura will forward the notification to your District Office where verification will be placed in your district file and your District Superintendent will be notified of your successful completion of the test.
Questions about the test, policy, the reason you have to take the test, or technical difficulties in taking the test: Please contact Laura Jaquith Bartlett at email@example.com, Administrative Coordinator for the Board of Ordained Ministry, or call 503-802-9215.
HEALTHY BOUNDARY WORKSHOP INFORMATION
OR-ID Healthy Boundaries Workshops. The challenges of the covid-19 pandemic, including timing issues impacting the definition of the current quadrennium, have led the Board of Ordained Ministry to authorize online courses to meet the Healthy Boundaries requirements for 2021-2024. The Board's primary recommendation is the online course offered by the Lewis Center for Church Leadership, “Understanding Clergy Sexual Ethics.” If you have already taken this course, you may take “Maintaining Boundaries in a Digital Age.” Upon completion of either course, you will be given a certificate of completion to submit to your district office. Cost of each course is $49. Both of these courses are completely online, and can be taken any time, based on your own schedule.
We are continuing to search for a Healthy Boundaries course in Spanish but currently the only trainings we have found are in English. | Seguimos buscando un curso de Límites Saludables en español, pero actualmente las únicas formaciones que hemos encontrado son en inglés.
Additional options available:
If you live outside of the OR-ID Annual Conference, you may seek out and take a Healthy Boundaries workshop or the equivalent offered by the UM Annual Conference where you live. You will need to submit documentation to the BOM which shows you attended this workshop and an outline of the course.
If you prefer a more in-depth study, you may take “Healthy Boundaries 101,” a 5-week, online class from the FaithTrust Institute founded by Rev. Dr. Marie Fortune.
We will keep this site updated with other options as they are available.
All workshops and classes are eligible for reimbursement through the Ministerial Education Fund.
Deferment or Exemption
Exemptions will only be granted to clergy who are no longer performing any ministerial duties. If your status is medical leave, honorable location, or retired, you may request deferment or exemption from the Bishop and your District Superintendent using the forms below. You can also contact your District office or Bishop’s office to obtain an application by mail.
- Linda Grund-Clampit, Cascadia District Office: 503-581-3969
- Jennifer Fowler, Columbia District Office: 503-802-9227
- Sheri Konowitz, Crater Lake District Office: 541-689-3725
- Etha Carruthers, Sage District Office: 208-537-3683
This is a significant decision because you will agree to “not perform any functions of the ministerial office” while under the deferment or exemption. Carefully read the request and agreement before you exercise this option.