ILikeGiving: I Do!
ILikeGiving - I Do!
Here’s a revelation: Facebook is a fun time waster. Now that that’s out of the way, here’s the other thing about Facebook: you happen on to some really cool and mind-expanding videos and websites because of it (and I am not referring to new bands like this great Portland-based one, babies laughing, or even dogs that pray – though I totally love that one).
The website that Facebook helped me find and that has been such an inspiration to me recently is ilikegiving.com
ILikeGiving is a vehicle for people to learn how to “live generously” by doing something surprising and maybe out of their comfort zone. And, there are some excellent videos that you can use in worship to inspire your congregation (my personal favorite is “I Like Bugshells”). You can even join the “3 Day Giving Challenge” and commit to:
• Helping someone with luggage
• Paying for a cup of coffee for the person behind you in line
• Paying for the deductible for someone whose car is out of commission
• Leaving a 100% tip on your next dinner bill
• Volunteering at a soup kitchen
• Tracking down a former teacher and send him/her a handwritten thank you note
• Making eye contact with someone and giving him or her a compliment.
You get the idea – it’s simple and easy to do and fits right in where God’s people should be: forces for good and generous living in a world that desperately needs it. I Like Giving…and I suspect you will too.
Cesie Delve Scheuermann is a consultant in stewardship, development, and grant writing. Over the past decade, while working as a volunteer and part-time consultant, she helped raise nearly $2 million dollars for numerous non-profit organizations. She served as the Oregon-Idaho Annual Conference Lay Leader from 2008-2012. Her position with the Conference is funded through a generous grant from the Collins Foundation. You can reach her at email@example.com.