Cascadia District Fall Charge Conferences
In the Cascadia District in 2020, most fall charge conferences** will be presided over by Cascadia District Superintendent Wendy Woodworth. The district office is working with local congregations to schedule these meetings.
This year most of the meetings will be by Zoom videoconference. This presents a few challenges. Here are some suggestions:
- Instead of printing all your reports to hand out at the meeting, send them out by e-mail prior to the meeting
- It is most important to supply people with reports or information which they need to vote on. Those include:
- Nominations Report (list of proposed church officers and committee members)
- Proposed compensation for clergy or lay supply pastor
- First and Second Year readings to remove people from membership roll (if applicable)
- Certified Lay Servant Report(s) (if applicable)
- Other "for information only" reports (such as Report of Trustees) could be summarized verbally during the meeting, and offered later as a printed report to those who request it.
- Yet other reports, such as "Safe Sanctuary Policy Annual Review" and the "Church Leadership Contact Information," are just for the district office and can be completed online without being brought up at the meeting.
- Most votes can be by general consensus, or by a "show of hands" within the Zoom meeting as directed by the DS or presiding elder.
- When a private vote is needed (as for affirming a candidate for ministry), the Zoom poll option can be used. The meeting host (DS or presiding elder) will know how to do this.
Here are links to what you need to know:
Many of the reports will be completed and submitted online:
This is the fourth year we have used this process. This year, as last year, each church will access the link to their online reports through the Church Dashboard, a private page on the Conference website. You'll see a "church login" link on the bottom right of this and every page on the website. Here is a video showing how to access your Church Dashboard. The log-in information has been sent to each pastor and church office. If you have questions, contact the district office.
Here is a video tutorial on the online FormVites process
If you need more information, contact Linda in the district office, firstname.lastname@example.org or (503) 581-3969.
The forms which we are requesting you complete online are:
- Report of the Trustees
- Safe Sanctuary Policy Review
- Church Leadership Contact Information
- Membership Report, 1st and 2nd year reading
- Lay Servant Report
One way to make the FormVites process easier is to collect your information ahead of time. Using one of the "traditional" forms to collect your information is an easy way to do that. These forms can also be used to share the reports with your congregation at the charge conference meeting. Or you can print the reports from the FormVites page. Each form listed above is linked to a .pdf copy of the form.
Unless you don't have online access, please complete these forms online and just use the .pdf copies to assist you in the process.
2021 Compensation Forms
This is the second year in which we are using an online process to gather the information needed for the pastor's compensation forms. After the information is gathered through the online process, we will review the data in the district office and then generate a form which will be used for the charge conference approval of the compensation package.
To start that process, go to www.umoi.org/clergycompensationforms
If you have any questions, please contact Linda in the Cascadia District office, at 503-581-3969 or email@example.com
**An annual meeting of the charge conference of each local church is required by the Discipline of The United Methodist Church. The primary responsibilities given to the body at this annual meeting are to review and evaluate the total mission and ministry of the church, receive reports, and adopt objectives and goals recommended by the church council (administrative board) that are in keeping with the the objectives of The United Methodist Church (2016 Book of Discipline, paragraph 247.3). Other specific annual responsibilities of the charge conference are to recommend new and renewing candidates for ordained ministry from among their membership, to recommend lay servants and certified lay ministers, to receive reports on Volunteer-in-mission teams, set the compensation for clergy appointed by the bishop, receive and act upon the annual membership report, and elect local church leadership (unless that is done at another charge conference at another time of year) (2016 Book of Discipline, paragraph 247.8 -13, 15 and paragraph 249).