Organist and/or Pianist - Coos Bay, Oregon
Organist and/or Pianist Job Description
First United Methodist Church, Coos Bay
123 Ocean Blvd. SW, Coos Bay, OR
General Responsibilities: Provides organ/piano music for 11:00 a.m. worship service and other occasional gatherings (weddings, funerals). Accompanies the choir rehearsal from September – May. Enhances the service of worship with appropriate music which assists the congregation in praising and serving God. Organist preferred, but skilled pianist will be considered.
Salary: Compensation will be based on experience and paid per Sunday.
Hours: 2 hours/ week – Sunday Morning Worship
2 hours / week – Choir Rehearsal (September – May)
2 hours / month – Worship Meeting
1. Provides organ, piano, and/or keyboard music for the 11:00 a.m. worship service including (but not limited to) Prelude, Offertory, Postlude, monthly Communion and Hymns.
2. Provide accompaniment for rehearsal of the choir and other special music as needed throughout the year. (Choir meets from September – May Wednesday evenings).
3. Provides organ/piano music as requested for special worship services including: Ash Wednesday, Good Friday/Maundy Thursday, Christmas Eve, etc.
4. Provides music for other occasions, as requested, such as weddings, funerals, celebrations, etc.
5. Establishes a worshipful, positive feeling and movement in the worship service through selection of music appropriate to worship themes and time of year.
6. Coordinates/cooperates with the pastor and other music program personnel.
7. Attends a monthly worship team meeting.
8. Establishes objectives annually and periodically reports progress toward attaining objectives to Staff Parish Relations Committee.
9. Continues to grow in musicianship.
10.Performs other related duties as may be requested or required.
1. Knowledge of church music and organ repertoire for church services.
2. Ability to:
a. Play pipe organ and/or piano proficiently.
b. Sight-read hymns. Play a wide variety of hymns.
c. Adapt and be flexible.
d. Accompany both soloists and choirs in rehearsals & services.
e. Prepare and play prelude, offertory, and postlude.
f. Work cooperatively with others – adults, youth, children, and staff.
Accountability: Administratively responsible to the Pastor and Staff Parish Relations Committee (SPRC).
Position available beginning June 3, 2012.
Contact: Rev. Laura Beville