Sexual Ethics Policy - Compliance Information
BACKGROUND: In 2008, the Oregon-Idaho Annual Conference adopted the Sexual Ethics Policy for Clergy. At the 2012 Annual Conference was passed to add the requirement of attendance at a Healthy Boundary Workshop once a quadrennium. The Board of Ordained Ministry was assigned responsibility for conducting training events and testing.
THE POLICY: The Sexual Ethics Policy for Clergy is printed annually (2018 Conference Journal, Volume #1, pages 43-48). To be in full compliance with the policy, the following three tasks must be completed:
- Complete an Annual Online Testing
- Attend a Healthy Boundary Workshop once per quadrennium
- Submit an Annual Disclosure Form to your District Office
- All clergy who hold membership in the Oregon-Idaho Annual Conference and are in any appointment status including active, retired, on leave*, honorably located and those appointed to school.
- All currently licensed local pastors.
- All clergy from other annual conferences and other denominations who are appointed to a ministry in the Oregon-Idaho Annual Conference or have a charge conference relationship in the Oregon-Idaho Annual Conference regardless of their home Annual Conference..
- All lay persons assigned by District Superintendents for leadership in local congregations.
* Clergy on medical leave have the option of delaying completion of the test and workshop until their leave is over. However all tasks will need to be completed before return to any other conference status.
Exemptions: Exemptions will only be granted to those clergy no longer performing any ministerial duties. An application requesting exemption from the sexual ethic policy requirements shall be completed and submitted to their District Superintendent for approval. Download application here or contact your District office or Bishop’s office to obtain an application by mail.
THE ONLINE TEST: Everyone is required to complete the online test and disclosure form annually. You must complete the online test with a score of 100%. The test can be taken repeatedly to achieve a perfect score.
HOW: The following outlines the process for taking the test:
1. Review the Sexual Ethics Policy for Clergy, 2018 Journal, Volume #1 on pages 43-48 or click here.
2. Online Test Link COMING SOON - You will be notified when the link goes live.
- Enter the password: (the password is the same for everyone, but is not printed on the webpage. It was in the email or letter you received in the test announcement notice. If you need to be reminded, contact Rev. Janet Farrell, Administrative Assistant for the Board of Ordained Ministry.
- Complete the requested information, including your agreement to abide by the Sexual Ethics Policy.
- Complete the 10 multiple-choice questions. You may stop and pause the test at any point and resume later. When you have completed the test you will receive your results instantly. Only 100% correct answers fulfill the requirement. You may take the test as many times as necessary.
- When you have achieved 100% the testing service will automatically send notification to the Rev. Janet Farrell, Administrative Assistant for the Conference Board of Ordained Ministry.
3. Janet will forward the notification to your District Office where a copy of certification will be placed in your district file, and your District Superintendent notified of your successful completion of the test.
For the 2017-2020 quadrennium, the Board of Ordained Ministry is offering Healthy Boundary Workshops in the fall of 2018 across the annual conference. You are encouraged to make all possible efforts to attend one of the following three offerings in 2018.
Click on a workshop area below for more information and to register:
- Portland Area: September 15, 2018 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Lake Oswego UMC
- Boise Area: October 20, 2018 1 p.m. to 7 p.m. Whitney UMC
- Eugene Area: December 8, 2018 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Wesley UMC
Retired Clergy are free. All other persons are charged $15 each.
If you are unable to attend one of these workshops in order to fulfill the quadrennial requirement, contact Donna Haines, Clergy Sexual Ethics Coordinator of the Board of Ordained Ministry, to discuss other options.
For more Information and Questions:
General questions: Rev. Janet Farrell, Administrative Assistant, Board of Ordained Ministry
Questions about the test, policy, or reason you have to take the test: Donna Haines, Clergy Sexual Ethics Coordinator of the Board of Ordained Ministry