We are all called to active engagement in mission, individually and as a church community. Maybe you missed the events offered last fall to celebrate 200 years of Global Ministries, but it’s not too late to learn more about opportunities to become engaged in mission and put compassion into action. Where is your passion?
We are active and engaged in Missions
We are a church in service to the least, the last, and the lost wherever there is a need. Examples of individual and teams in service are:
- Locally - in our communities, we provide shelters and soup kitchens, serve on Habitat for Humanity and National Rebuilding Together projects, participate in SOLVE projects, and a host of other needs as they become known. Members serve as early responders and, as a Conference, we work with other non-governmental agencies active in disasters to prepare for crises and respond as needed.
- Locally, Regionally and Nationally - we provide Early Response Teams (ERT) and United Methodist Volunteer in Missions (UMVIM) teams to assist in Relief and Long Term Recovery efforts following natural and human-caused disasters like earthquakes, wildfires, major storms, and flooding.
- Domestically and Internationally - we provide UMVIM teams, and individuals who itinerate long-term as Missionaries or Individual Volunteers in Mission working with our General Board of Global Ministries (GBGM) and United Methodist Committee on Relief (UMCOR).
If you think God may be calling you to explore opportunities in mission work, contact our Conference Missions Secretary.
Oregon-Idaho Missions Contacts:
- Coordinator - Rev. Marshall Wattman-Turner
- Team Lead - Emilie Kroen, 503-312-4138
- Promoting physical activities, healthy diet and nutrition, alcohol-and-drug free living and mental health education.
Director of Connectional Ministries - Laurie Day
- Focus is to guide the mission and ministry of the Annual Conference by working with the Bishop and cabinet while ensuring connections with local, district, annual conference and general Church ministries.
Disaster Preparedness and Response Coordinator - Larry Johnson, 503-899-5431
- Promotes disaster preparedness within the churches of the Conference. The conference connection with UMCOR and ORVOAD, coordinating disaster relief and supporting the needs of churches in the conference after a disaster strikes.
- Connecting Neighbors - Sally Blanchard, 503-802-9206. Inspiring congregations to prepare for emergencies and partner with neighbors to offer a helpful, caring, cooperative presence.
Early Response Team (ERT) Coordinator - Larry Johnson, 503-899-5431
- Coordinates the training, certification, and deployment of Early Response Teams (ERT).
Missionary Itineration Coordinator - Roz Collins
- Schedules and oversees the travel arrangements for GBGM Missionaries as they visit within the Conference. Contact her if you would like more information about hosting a missionary visit.
Secretary of Global Ministries - Rev. Jim Frisbie
- Works with other Annual Conferences to “relate the annual conference board of global ministries to the objectives and scope of work of the General Board of Global Ministries.”
Volunteer in Mission (UMVIM) Coordinator - Louise Kienzle, 541-620-0989
- Coordinates VIM ministries by: matching volunteers with mission opportunities; responding to volunteers willing to serve; training and mobilizing volunteers; and sharing information on what is happening in short-term VIM programs within the conference and beyond.
Disaster Ministry Training
Fire, flood, tornado, or earthquake can change lives in an instant, and each present real threats within our Conference. Get the skills and information you need to develop and be part of response teams for emergencies near or far. Being ready to offer a trained and caring Christian response is critical, but it takes dedicated training to be effective.
ERT Basic and Advanced
UMVIM Team Leader Training
Are you prepared to be a member of teams that respond to crisis and disaster? You can make a difference. Emergency Response Teams (ERT) get training on how to respond when natural disasters strike and how to be an effective caring Christian presence with the survivors.
Trainings on the Calendar:
- May 2-3, 2020 POSTPONED!
- UMVIM Leader Training, ERT, Connecting Neighbors
- Bend UMC
- May 16, 2020
- Connecting Neighbors
- Hermiston UMC