Sage District Fall Charge Conferences
This year most of the meetings will be by Zoom videoconference. This presents a few challenges. Here are some suggestions:
- Instead of printing all your reports to hand out at the meeting, send them out by e-mail prior to the meeting
- It is most important to supply people with reports or information which they need to vote on. Those include:
- Nominations Report (list of proposed church officers and committee members)
- Proposed compensation for clergy or lay supply pastor
- First and Second Year readings to remove people from membership roll (if applicable)
- Certified Lay Servant Report(s) (if applicable)
- Other "for information only" reports (such as Report of Trustees) could be summarized verbally during the meeting, and offered later as a printed report to those who request it.
- Yet other reports, such as "Safe Sanctuary Policy Annual Review" and the "Church Leadership Contact Information," are just for the district office and can be completed online without being brought up at the meeting.
- Most votes can be by general consensus, or by a "show of hands" within the Zoom meeting as directed by the DS or presiding elder.
- When a private vote is needed (as for affirming a candidate for ministry), the Zoom poll option can be used. The meeting host (DS or presiding elder) will know how to do this.
Here are some important links:
- The agenda for the charge conference
- a Summary of the Reports due at the charge conference and who is responsible for what.
- 2021 Compensation Worksheets
- the Clergy Health and Wellness Form is to be completed by Clergy in consult with the SPRC.
Other required forms will be accessed through a process called FormVites and filed online. You can access the FormVite for your church via the church dashboard login, located on the conference website at the bottom of each page - including this one! Your password and username are the same as last year - check with the district office if you need help with that. Here's a video how to fill out the forms online.
For your reference, here are pdf links to the forms.
- Report of the Trustees,
- Safe Sanctuary Annual Review,
- Church Officers Report,
- Membership Report,
- Lay Servants Report.
(note: some find it helpful to fill out these paper forms prior to doing the FormVite, then use them as guides for entering the FormVite data.)
Please the Sage District office at 503-802-9225, or email@example.com, if you have questions or are experiencing problems with the processing of forms.
*Charge Conference: An annual meeting of the charge conference of each local church is required by the Discipline of The United Methodist Church. The primary responsibilities given to the body at this annual meeting are to review and evaluate the total mission and ministry of the church, receive reports, and adopt objectives and goals recommended by the church council (administrative board) that are in keeping with the objectives of The United Methodist Church (see 2016 Book of Discipline, paragraph 247.3). Other specific annual responsibilities of the charge conference are to recommend new and renewing candidates for ordained ministry from among their membership, to recommend lay servants and certified lay ministers, to receive reports on Volunteer-in-Mission teams, set the compensation for clergy appointed by the bishop, receive and act upon the annual membership report, and elect local church leadership (unless that is done at another charge conference at another time of the year).
(2016 Book of Discipline, paragraph 247.8-13, 15 and paragraph 249)