This page is for UM clergy serving a total appointment time of less than half-time.

This page contains a link to the online worksheet where you will enter information about your pastor's compensation.  The district office will use this information to create a Compensation Agreement Form which will be returned to you to present for approval at a charge conference.

Before you go to the worksheet,

Clergy compensation includes cash salary and housing.  The church shall also provide an accountable reimbursement fund (including mileage reimbursement).  The local church is not required to provide benefits for quarter-time clergy, but may provide optional benefits as described below.  

Before you begin the worksheet, gather the following information:

Once you have gathered this information, you are ready to begin the Compensation Information Worksheet.  Choose the appropriate worksheet as indicated. For support with the compensation information worksheet, contact your District Office as listed below.


If your pastor is not retired, click here

If your pastor is retired, click here


After you have completed the worksheet, inform your district office that it is finished. They will take the information you have given and create a Compensation Agreement Form and return it to you to be presented at your charge conference for approval.  

Cascadia District Office,  cascadia@umoi.org   (503) 581-3969

Columbia District Office,  columbia@umoi.org   (503) 802-9227

Crater Lake District Office,  craterlake@umoi.org  (541) 689-3725

Sage District Office,   sage@umoi.org   (503) 802-9225



Cash Salary

  • There are minimum salary levels for clergy, set each year by the Annual Conference (called Equitable Compensation Guidelines)  See the Equitable Compensation Guidelines 2020 for guidance on those.
  • With the minimum level as the lower boundary, the cash salary figure for a particular clergy is arrived at through negotiation between the SPRC, District Superintendent and the pastor.
  • The clergy person can allocate portions of their cash salary to utilities & furnishings allowance (see Equitable Compensation Guidelines 2020 and the Housing Allowances Worksheet), to their personal investment plan (UMPIP), or to increase their housing allowance.  (Use the Housing Allowance Worksheet to figure)


  • Housing is provided to the clergy either through a parsonage or through housing allowance.
  • The Conference has a policy for clergy housing standards, covering both standards for a church-provided parsonage (and church-pastor relations regarding the parsonage) and considerations when establishing a housing allowance.   Find that policy by clicking here.
  • The Equitable Compensation Guidelines set minimum housing allowance amounts. The housing allowance is proportional to appointment time, i.e. at quarter-time the minimum housing allowance is one-quarter of the minimum housing allowance for full-time. Every parsonage is considered as meeting the minimum compensation package.  This is true whether the pastor is working full -time or part-time.  
  • If the housing allowance is more than actual housing costs, the clergy person can shift housing allowance funds to cash salary.  Use the Housing and Housing Related Allowances Worksheet to figure.
  • In rare cases, and under very limited circumstances, the clergy person may voluntarily give up the part of their salary package represented by housing allowance.  This can only be done after consultation between the SPRC, pastor, and District Superintendent and with the permission of the Conference Equitable Compensation Commission.  A Request for Housing Allowance Exemption form must be completed and approved prior to this step being taken.

Accountable Reimbursement Fund

  • The church must have an accountable reimbursement policy in place prior to setting up an accountable reimbursement fund.  Here is a link to a basic, sample policy on which you can base yours: Accountable Reimbursement Policy
  • The Equitable Compensation Guidelines for 2020 recommend that a reimbursement fund for travel and professional expenses be set at no less than $3,500 annually for full-time. This makes the recommendation no less than $875 for half-time.
  • You can also use the Accountable Reimbursement Worksheet to help figure an amount for the accountable reimbursement fund.
  • Mileage reimbursement should be no higher than the IRS business mileage rate for a particular year. You can find that rate at https://www.irs.gov/tax-professionals/standard-mileage-rates.  If you are completing a compensation worksheet prior to release of the applicable year's rate, you can just put "IRS business rate" in the mileage field.  The IRS will publish the rate sometime in December for the following year. 


  • Quarter-time clergy have no health or pension benefits sponsored by the Conference.  However - if the clergy person is not retired -- local churches are strongly encouraged to adopt an "Employer-Sponsored" UMPIP pension plan with a 13% employer contribution for quarter-time clergy. The clergy person has the option of designating part of their cash salary to go to their United Methodist Personal Investment Plan (UMPIP), whether or not the local church makes a contribution.  Contact Meg Kau, Conference HR/Benefits Specialist for more information.  You can reach her at meg@umoi.org or (503) 802-9224.
  • The local church has the option to sponsor other benefits or providing extra money for benefits.  This can be complex and if the church has other employees, these same benefits may have to be available to them also. Be sure to do the research ahead of time related to your particular situation. Meg Kau, Conference HR/Benefits Specialist, can answer questions about this.  You can reach her at meg@umoi.org or (503) 802-9224.
Boldly Making Disciples of Jesus Christ - Vitalizing the Church - Transforming the World