Zoom Charge Conference Suggestions
Holding a charge conference by Zoom rather than in person has some challenges. Here are some suggestions to help it work well:
- Instead of printing all your reports to hand out at the meeting, send them out by e-mail prior to the meeting
- It is most important to supply people with reports or information which they need to vote on. Those include:
- Nominations Report (list of proposed church officers and committee members)
- Proposed compensation for clergy or lay supply pastor
- First and Second Year readings to remove people from membership roll (if applicable)
- Certified Lay Servant Report(s) (if applicable)
- Other "for information only" reports (such as Report of Trustees) could be summarized verbally during the meeting, and offered later as a printed report to those who request it.
- Yet other reports, such as "Safe Sanctuary Policy Annual Review" and the "Church Leadership Contact Information," are just for the district office and can be completed online without being brought up at the meeting.
- Most votes can be by general consensus, or by a "show of hands" within the Zoom meeting as directed by the DS or presiding elder.
- When a private vote is needed (as for affirming a candidate for ministry), the Zoom poll option can be used. The meeting host (DS or presiding elder) will know how to do this.